matt | December 25, 2007
I found this page which was really handy in telling one where to put things.
This page has some useful POI stuff.
- The included JPEGs are 1024×768. However, it scales everything nicely to the right size (at least, 1600×1200 works just fine). These go in /media/gps/jpeg.
- Thee are more vehicles at: http://www.garmin.com/vehicles/
- Waypoints: – waypoints are in gpx format, and get stuck in: /media/gps/Garmin/Waypoints/ – then the nuvi reboots, it will blow the file over into your favorites.
- conversion from geocaching to garmin: gpsbabel -i geo -o gpx geocaching.loc geocaching.gpx
- backup current waypoints – copy to somewhere: /media/gps/Garmin/gpx/current.gpx
- To get stuff out of google maps, follow instructions here and bookmark the thing it tells you to, then look up something in google, click the bookmark you created, then save the output to a GPX file. Of course, these GPX files don’t always work as nicely as one would like, or at all, so let gpsbabel convert them from GPX to GPX: gpsbabel -i gpx -o gpx foo.gpx foo_out.gpx it will also show you icky errors, which was likely the problem
- The POI format stuff is .gpi, and goes in /media/gps/Garmin/poi/